The Student News Site of Principia College

The Pilot

To inform, educate, and entertain

The Pilot

The Pilot

Divine Love is the ultimate safety tool on college campuses

METAPHISICAL

Across the country, safety on college campuses is a big issue. Whether it’s walking across campus, going to parties, or dating — students and faculty across the nation are searching for ways to feel safe and secure.   

In February 2021, The Pilot published an article by Rhyan du Peloux and James Ives entitled “Campus safety, the value of vigilance.” The article focused on the security measures that Principia College is taking.  One of the biggest deterrents to crime, it suggested, was students, who can simply be aware and report suspicious activity. 

While it’s important to be alert to one’s surroundings and who one is with, there may be times when, even under the best conditions, we may still be afraid.  As a student of Christian Science, I’m learning that turning to God’s divine Love can help in the scariest of situations.   

The book of Isaiah in the Bible promises, “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness” (Isaiah 41:10).

Many times this comforting idea has assuaged my fear and allowed me to be receptive to practical ideas for safety. 

For instance, when I lived a mile off-campus in my sophomore year of college, I decided to hitch a ride to campus. This was during a time when hitchhiking was more common, especially among college students.  Looking back, that was a very unsafe thing to do, but it was exam time and I was anxious to get to the library.   

In spite of this poor choice, as I stood by the side of the road with my thumb out, I prayed. A Bible verse from John came to me. It reads,  “No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him”  (John 6:44).  To me, this meant that because God is Love, He was always caring and protecting me no matter where I was.  Likewise, God was directing and communicating with each of His children.  Man as the image and likeness of God is innocent and incapable of harming or hurting anyone.  This means there is no victim and no victimizer in the Kingdom of Heaven.   

Shortly after, a man picked me up.  He looked like a student so I didn’t suspect anything.  But, as we approached the campus he turned into an alley.  At first, I thought it was a shortcut but then realized as we got to a dead-end he had ill intentions.   

The curious thing was that I was not afraid.  There was no one to help, but my prayer beforehand gave me an assurance that no matter what, God was with me.  As he reached for me, I calmly thanked him for the ride and left the car walking out of the alley.  As he drove away, he apologized and went on his way. I was so grateful for this example of safety.  It kept us both safe and kept the man from doing something he would regret.

God’s direction not only prevents crime but also keeps us protected even in the middle of a threatening situation.  The Bible promises:  “No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD”  (Isaiah 54:17). 

While it’s important to be vigilant and observant of our surroundings, let’s also be aware that Divine Love, God, is always present and governing all His children.  We don’t need to live in fear but can turn to God for safety at all times—no matter the situation—even if we make a poor choice like I did.   

Valerie Minard is a Christian Science Practitioner at Principia College.  She is available on campus Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in Cox Cottage.